NORMAL – Normal Town Council members unanimously approved a resolution accepting a set of bids from Bloomington-based Rowe Construction Co. to begin projects at Towanda Ave., Broadway Place, and at Ironwood Golf Course. The total amount of money the Town will spend on the trio of projects is $813,982.19. Part of that amount to includes a budget adjustment of $129,849.
That total dollar figure will pay for resurfacing work to be done on Towanda Ave., including a new right-turn lane stretching northbound from Towanda Ave. to Vernon Ave. New traffic lights and upgraded sidewalks will also be part of the work done in that area.
With regard to the Towanda Ave. project, Town Engineer Gene Brown told Council members it won’t be necessary to close that section of the street at night.
Also up to be improved as part of this project are the tunnels under Towanda Ave. at Ironwood Country Club. The current ones will be replaced. Broadway Place will receive a resurfacing job as part of the project.
Tracy Widergren Appointed To Normal Planning Commission: Council members also unanimously approved the appointment of Tracy Widerren to the Normal Planning Commission. Widergren is filling the vacancy on the Commission left by the departure of Joseph Cleary. Cleary left to fill a vacancy on the Normal-based Unit 5 School Board. Widergren will serve a full four year term which will expire on March 31, 2021.
An Illinois State University graduate, Widergren, holding bachelor’s degrees in public relations and English, as well as a Master’s degree in Communication. Currently, Widergren serves as Assistant Director of Marketing and Communication at the University, and is also an instructor there. She has served as a member of the Town’s 2040 Visioning Committee and currently serves on the Town and Gown Relations Advisory Group for the Town of Normal Comprehensive Plan. She moved to Normal in 2003 and currently lives here with her husband, Jason, and son Caleb.
Liquor Commission Grants License To D. P. Dough: Prior to the regular Council session, Council members, meeting in their capacity as the Normal Local Liquor Commission, voted to approve a Class B license for SLCB Enterprises, doing business as D. P. Dough, 121 E. Beaufort St. A Class B license is for beer consumption only on premises.
Omnibus Agenda Items Approved: Omnibus agenda items approved by the Council included:
• Approval of minutes of the regular meeting on Feb. 6, 2017.
• Approval of Town of Normal expenditures as of Feb. 15, 2017.
• A resolution authorizing an agreement for construction materials testing services for the 2017 construction season with Bloomington-based Ramsey Geotechnical Engineering LLC (RGE).
• A resolution approving hourly rates and direct costs for 2017 with Clark-Dietz, Inc.; Crawford, Murphy, & Tilly, Inc.; Farnsworth Group; Lewis, Yockey, And Brown, Inc.; Maurer-Stutz, Inc.; and Wight and Company to provide engineering services for various Town departments.
• A resolution authorizing the execution of an intergovernmental agreement for the police shooting range facility with the City of Bloomington.
• A resolution authorizing an intergovernmental agreement between the Town of Normal and the City of Bloomington for replacement of traffic signals at Towanda Ave. and Vernon Ave..
• A resolution authorizing the installation of fiber optic traffic signal communication lines under the existing traffic signal maintenance contract with Champaign Signal and Lighting Company in an amount not to exceed $25,000.
• A resolution to appropriate $220,000 of the Town’s allotment of Motor Fuel Tax funds for traffic signal improvements at the Towanda Ave./Vernon Ave. intersection.
• A resolution authorizing a license agreement with Evansville, Ind.-based Metro Fibernet LLC, doing business as Metronet, for the placement of antennas and equipment on the Pine Street water tower.
• An ordinance approving an amendment to the license agreement with based Metro Fibernet LLC for the installation of a fiber optic hut on Town property at 700 Pine St.